Thursday 7 July 2016

I INTEND TO SERVE FCE (SP) OYO ALUMNI BECAUSE I OWE HER - COM. OLOJA




Comrade Olanrewaju Oloja is a seasoned and vibrant students' leader and his doggedness cum commitments over the years towards the emancipation of students can not be over-emphasized. 

Presently, he is aspiring for the post of the National Public Relations Officer of  the prestigious Federal College of Education (Sp), Oyo Alumni Association in the elections that will be coming up on 16th July, 2016 . 

In an interview with our correspondent, COM. OLOJA takes us through his ideological background and his plans towards resuscitating and liberating the Alumni association of  his Alma mata. 

Read on; 


OMOIYAKUNMI: Comrade, can you tell us briefly about yourself? 

COM. OLOJA: I am Oloja Olanrewaju and I am from Ijebu Awa in Ijebu North Local Government of Ogun state.I was born and bred in Ibadan where I attended Ibadan Grammar school and Aponmode Moniya High School for my secondary school education. I proceeded to the Federal College of Education (Special), Oyo to study Social Studies/Education for the Gifted and Talented. I graduated in 2010. Presently, am a final year student of the Ekiti State University in affiliation with Emmanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo studying Social Studies Education.

OMOIYAKUNMI: Over the years, your active roles and vibrancy in students' unionism have not gone unnoticed. Can you take us through your growth and some of your achievements?

COM. OLOJA: My interest in unionism started wayback in  1999 when I witnessed the burial of George Iwilade Afrika and other comrades murdered at OAU Ile Ife. This has been the fulcrum for my continued involvement in active unionism. Ever since then, I have been privileged to serve in many capacities. Some of which are; Secretary, Campus Price Control Committee SUG FCE Special, Oyo (2007/2008). I was  a Member of the Students Representative Council FCE (Special), Oyo between 2008 and 2009. I was elected the Speaker of the Students Representative Council FCE (Special), Oyo in 2009 after which I became the Director of Special Duties, NANS/JCC, Oyo State in 2010 before  I became  a  Member of the Communiqué Drafting Committee in NANS Zone D Convention of 2011. Still at NANS Zone D level, I became the Convention Clerk NANS/JCC convention in 2011 and Director of Social Programs in 2012 before being elected as the Assistant General Secretary, Zone D between 2014 and 2015. At present, I am the General Secretary NANS Zone D 


OMOIYAKUNMI: Can we say this track record of achievements and ideological background inspired your ambition for the post of the PRO of FCE (Sp) Alumni Association?

COM. OLOJA: Not really but I believe I owe an institution like FCE (Special), Oyo, which has bequeathed on me knowledge and gift of character, and that is why I am ready to serve diligently. Being the Public Relations Officer will only afford me a veritable platform of attracting goodwill to the institution where I was made.

OMOIYAKUNMI:Now, talking about giving back to your Alma Mata. In what ways do you think things would be done differently if you are eventually elected as the PRO?


COM. OLOJA: FCE (Special), Oyo is prided to be the only institution of Special Education in Sub sahara Africa. Thus, it should be utmost priority in the agenda of government as it caters for a particular section of the Nigerian population. Unfortunately as a result of not too much publicity, the institution has been denied of certain privileges and benefits. Also, this position will help institute a synergy and create a connect amongst former students of the institution. I have always opined that at this age of paradigm shift, the Alumni should be a platform for mentor-ship and capacity building for the younger generation. Therefore, my campaign are based on building networks of old students, positive propaganda for the college and developmental initiatives for members of the Alumni and the College itself.



OMOIYAKUNMI:Looking at recent developments within the association that generated ripples and have led to members forming different caucuses and groups, do you think this is healthy enough and will it not breach the peace of the association?

COM. OLOJA: Well, I have always posited that development, progress and growth can only be achieved in an atmosphere of peace. I am informing you of the decisions of myself and other like minded alumnus to brand our team 'Peace Ambassadors' where we are resolute that upon winning, our first agenda is to entrench a sense of solidarity and harmony that will grant everybody a sense of belonging and responsibility devoid of sectional sentiments. Also the current seeming political storm in the organization is opined as brief disagreements amongst members of same family. Therefore, after 16th July elections we will definitely come out stronger. I will also want to reiterate that the Alumni association is quite different from students' unionism and politics. It is an organization of service and responsibilities. Hence, all individuals fanning embers of discords should for the sake of our alumni desist from such.

OMOIYAKUNMI: In that vein, are you positive that the July 16 elections will be conducted peacefully and fairly?

COM. OLOJA: With all measures on ground, I succinctly repose my confidence in the Dr Theo Ajobiewe-led Electoral Committee and I am sure the elections will be reasonably free and fair.

OMOIYAKUNMI: Lastly, to whom do you owe the great achievements and ideological background? 
  
COM. OLOJA: Its been God my creator, my mother for her continue prayers, my maternal Grandfather, Pa M. A. Adekanmbi for his moral and spiritual guidance and Mr E.O Gbadebo for his political mentoring.


No comments:

Post a Comment