Thursday 29 September 2016

WHAT WE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT LEADERSHIP - OMO IYA KUNMI


Some time in 2007/2008, I was in my second semester as a 300 level student of the Federal University of of Agriculture, Abeokuta when I contested for the post of the President of the Federation of Oyo State Students' Union (FOSSU). 

Then, the history of past Presidents of the union reflected that almost all of them came from the Ibadan geo-political zone while there was just only one from the Ibarapa zone. I am sure the likes of Com. Agboola Mojeed, Adekunle Mikail and Ajibike A. Biola will definitely remember this.

According to the records available then, there had never been an Oyo guy to attempt to lead the union. We maintained the back seat as influential as we were then in decisions making. At a point when the Bursary Awards that has always been a motivation for us to meet and discuss on the state of the Union was not coming, about 60% active members became passive. This happened during the tenure of Com. Zobo, another Ibadan guy.

The passiveness and lackadaisical attitude of most members led the union to a state of stagnancy. Then some of us wanted to resuscitate the union. We demanded that Com. Zobo conducts the elections and hand over since his tenure was over. After many attempts, he indeed set up a an electoral committee reluctantly.
Amidst the hullabaloo, I discovered that there was no Oyo guy attempting to come on-board to serve. Without further considerations and consultation, I offered to contest for the post of the President. I began my crusade which didn't involve Oyo Students alone but I canvassed even students from other States.
In the course of this, three candidates came up and two of which were from Ibadan. I think the last guy stepped down for me. The dream of becoming the first FOSSU President seemed a mirage.

Now, if God hadn't destined me to be the President, I don't think I should have emerged. I started this crusade solely without consultations. I relied on my personality on and off campus. Sanni Rukayat Oluwaseyi, was one of my backbones then even though she wasn't from Oyo town.

It the course of my campaign, I was always quick to tell members 'I will buy you bus', 'I will buy you this..' I will do this...' I will do that...' I remember one lady (I won't mention are names, though she joined my team later) who confronted me on one occasion, 'Oga, see how you are blabbing as if you can do it alone. What about your excos? Wont you carry them along?" Chai.. I was so embarrassed but I found my way out of the situation that day.

It was only later that some people who believed in my dreams and wanted power shift from the Ibadan zone started coming around. These were actually the people who worked tirelessly for the agenda to become a reality. I still remain egbon mi Olorunkosebi Abdulahi who was always scolding me, "Bawo lo se fese iru nkan bayi to o ni sofun wa. O fe doju ti Oyo ni?" (How could you attempt some thing like this without telling us, do you want to shame Oyo town)

I LEARNT MY FIRST LESSON: A TRUE LEADER CONSULTS BEFORE TAKING VITAL DECISIONS.
The election came and I won. It came as a rude shock to the Ibadans cos they had a larger population. All thanks to those who supported me back then. This swell me up, as in, I became so 'powerful' so to say that I found it difficult listening to ides and suggestions from people and my excos.

The election came and I won. It came as a rude shock to the Ibadans cos they had a larger population. All thanks to those who supported me back then. This swell me up, as in, I became so 'powerful' so to say that I found it difficult listening to ideas and suggestions from people and my excos.

I would write official correspondences, sign them singularly and even dispatch them. I was the one collecting annual dues. I would be the one pasting info and disseminating it around the campus. I simply sidelined my excos. I felt I was the most efficient and that no one can do it better than I.

At a time, I became worn out. The popularity of the Union, which was regained during the election campaigns started diminishing simply because I was selfish. I didn't even mind until I discovered that the Federation of Ibadan Students' Union (FIBSU) is becoming more popular than FOSSU.

I hurriedly organized a programme tagged 'Amala Day', it was 100% colourful and we had dignitaries in attendance. Unfortunately, only one of my excos was in attendance. I was the one in trying to be everywhere and at the end the success wasn't as much as we expected. 
 
THERE AND THEN, I LEARNT ANOTHER LESSON. A LEADER CAN NEVER BE EVERYWHERE. HE SHOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE FULL GLORIES OF HIS ACHIEVEMENTS. A TRUE LEADER SHOULD WORK WITH HIS PEOPLE AND THE CREDITS OF HIS ACHIEVEMENT SHOULD GO TO HIS PEOPLE.

Like my people will say, 'Agbaj'owo la fi nsoya, owo kan ko gberu dori'

Enikan kiii je awade...

Mo so eyi, mo duro na Ayinde Commander...

No comments:

Post a Comment