Tuesday 23 August 2016

SAVEFUNAAB: THE DIARY OF A FUNAAB STUDENT

A THURSDAY TO REMEMBER

It was my alarm ringing. I just made it stop crying. Oh! I lazilly stood up for solat. I didn't know how but I made it to the 'Teslim'. "My eyes are heavy! I need sleep" I said to myself. I got back on bed, slowly drifting to sleep. Here comes another loud ring. This time it was my roommate's phone, she had a call then started pressing her phone only to get broadcast messages about another robbery. Not again! Sleep left me quickly, we were worried. Someone we know lives there.

Being a punctual student, I prepared for school. I had a practical by 8am. Coming out of the bathroom, my roomate told me a protest had started at Gate. I didn't listen, I said "it wouldn't stop the practical from holding." In a jiffy, I was already at Gate, I saw numerous students. Somehow, I was the last passenger in an hurriedly leaving cab. We drove into school only to realise that the dessert was more fun than the unusual silence in school. I saw a group of girls; they should probably be from the school hostel taking early morning selfies. OMG! I should have listened to my roommate. I soberly walked from school back to gate. I met people I know at Gate. We talked about the protest.

Idleness sets in. We jumped at the news of a thief being apprehended at Gate.we decided to see what was going on. We even had few friends with us too. It was shocking! I had never seen FUNAABITES so angry. I mean you should have been there, students were ready to give it what it takes. Despite his beaten state, he looked stubborn. His eyes were speaking. I'd rather look at the mother's eyes. Her eyes said it all. It was full of plea. Oh mother! Save me too was all I could think of while numerous messages reached us about the policemen having a circus show at camp.

It seemed unbelievable! It snowed teargas and thundered gun shots to scare students away. They cannot contain the anger of the students. I am devastated. We heard several things. At a point, I couldn't even comprehend the situation . I was concerned , network seems to be playing pranks as the phone number of my dear ones were unreachable. Me being fed up, I walked back to my hostel after the thief was safely in police custody. Students were not satisfied by the verdict.

Later on, I received news about the situation of one student that was shot and also the burning of vehicles and destruction of properties. Oga o! In FUNAAB? I even heard policemen arresting students anyhow.

I heard, my ears were full. Same words echoing in different frequencies. As much as I heard. I could hear the voices of brave funaab students, I could hear the lament of the helpless ones, the cries of the victims, the cracking noise of the blazing fire, foot steps of the observers like myself. I could hear truth for the first time as a FUNAABITE. WE WANT A RESTORED FUNAAB

*Animashaun, S.D*


AD 

No comments:

Post a Comment